How Do I Choose and Electronic Security System?
The National Burglar & Fire Alarm Association is offering all homeowners tips on how to select the electronic security company that best fits their individual needs, For consumers seeking the services of a reputable and experienced security company, the NBFAA has the following recommendations:
- Ask your insurance agent, friends, family, or neighbors for referrals.
- Visit the NBFAA web site for a list of NBFAA member companies throughout the United States. Members of the NBFAA have agreed to maintain a high level of conduct under its National Code of Ethics.
- Call several companies and ask if their employees are trained and/or certified by a nationally recognized entity like the NBFAA.
- Ask how long employees have been with the company.
- Ask the companies for proof that they have the appropriate state and/or local licenses.
- Ask the companies if they conduct any pre-employment screening. The NBFAA strongly advocates the development and enforcement of effective state licensing laws that require pre-employment background checks.
- Contact your local police department’s Crime Prevention Department, state licensing agencies, Consumer Protection Agencies, and the Better Business Bureau regarding any past interactions with, or history on, the prospective security companies.
- After you’ve narrowed the field to three or four alarm companies, ask for the name of the person who will call on you.
- When he/she visits, ask to see some company identification.
- Ask each alarm company representative for an inspection, recommendation, and a quote in writing. Use a checklist to compare different packages and price quotes.
- Never feel pressured to sign anything. Be cautious of those who push you to sign a contract quickly or who may be offering unusual deals or incentives.